Type 2 diabetes can go undetected for up to ten years and around half of people already show signs of complications by the time they are diagnosed.
How long can you have diabetes without knowing?
People with type 2 diabetes often have no symptoms at first. They may not have symptoms for many years. According to Medlineplus.gov, early symptoms of diabetes caused by a high blood sugar level may include: Bladder, kidney, skin, or other infections that are more frequent or heal slowly.
How long can you go undiagnosed with type 2 diabetes?
It is not uncommon for people to live with type 2 diabetes for years without being aware of their condition. These cases of undiagnosed diabetes may sometimes only be picked up during a routine medical check-up.
What are 3 symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes?
The three most common symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes include:
- Increased thirst (polydipsia) High blood sugar levels cause increased thirst.
- Increased urination (polyuria) Needing to urinate more throughout the day. Urinating more often than usual at night.
- Increased hunger (polyphagia)
Can diabetes be undetectable?
Type 2 diabetes can be detected easily during a routine screening exam and blood test. However, it frequently can go undiagnosed for years unless a physician draws a blood sample to check the blood glucose. In the early stages of Type 2 diabetes, you experience few to no noticeable signs of the disease.
What are 10 warning signs of diabetes?
Early signs and symptoms of diabetes
- Frequent urination. When your blood sugar is high, your kidneys expel the excess blood sugar, causing you to urinate more frequently. …
- Increased thirst. …
- Fatigue. …
- Blurred vision. …
- Increased hunger. …
- Unexplained weight loss. …
- Slow healing cuts and wounds. …
- Tingling or numbness in the hands or feet.
How can I tell if I’m diabetic?
The early signs and symptoms of type 2 diabetes can include:
- Frequent urination. …
- Increased thirst. …
- Always feeling hungry. …
- Feeling very tired. …
- Blurry vision. …
- Slow healing of cuts and wounds. …
- Tingling, numbness, or pain in the hands or feet. …
- Patches of dark skin.
What does untreated diabetes feel like?
Uncontrolled diabetes means your blood sugar levels are too high, even if you’re treating it. And you may have symptoms such as peeing more often, being thirsty a lot, and having other problems related to your diabetes.
What are the warning signs of prediabetes?
Warning signs of prediabetes
- Blurry vision.
- Cold hands and feet.
- Dry mouth.
- Excessive thirst.
- Frequent urination.
- Increase in urinary tract infections.
- Increased irritability, nervousness or anxiety.
- Itchy skin.
How can I tell if I have diabetes without going to the doctor?
Both types of diabetes have some of the same telltale warning signs.
- Hunger and fatigue. Your body converts the food you eat into glucose that your cells use for energy. …
- Peeing more often and being thirstier. …
- Dry mouth and itchy skin. …
- Blurred vision.
What are the 5 signs of diabetes?
- Urinate (pee) a lot, often at night.
- Are very thirsty.
- Lose weight without trying.
- Are very hungry.
- Have blurry vision.
- Have numb or tingling hands or feet.
- Feel very tired.
- Have very dry skin.